Usually a wide range of electronics devices such as automotive keyless entry system or home audio equipments are marked with a unique coding standard called Data Matrix. 2D Data Matrix is widely used by manufacturers to build an automated tracking system that is machine readable, durable and facilitates unique identification of each product throughout its life cycle. The ECC 200 2D Data Matrix codes are manufactured with the help of laser marking. They are one of the most cost-effective methods for tracking products and creating distinctive identification during the manufacturing cycle, sales distribution and after-sale warranty verification stages.
Data Matrix codes are designed so that they can survive complex manufacture processes such as broad cleaning and wave solder, without affecting the circuit performance. This means that the codes’ extensive use in the manufacturing process is widely accepted. The ECC 200 2D Data Matrix codes allow for a proficient means of storing alphanumeric character strings in a very small area of printed circuit board.
Advantages of ECC 200 2D Data Matrix codes over conventional 1D barcodes are stated below.
• Unlike the analog encoding of data in conventional barcodes, Data Matrix codes encode information digitally.
• Data Matrix codes are scalable and can be printed in various levels of magnification. However, they are only limited by the resolution of the available imaging and printing techniques.
• 2D Data Matrix codes are the highest among all the 2D codes, enabling the placement of a large amount of information in a small area. They offer higher information density in comparison to the 1D barcodes.
• Data Matrix codes offer built-in error correction techniques due to the fact that they have a high information density. The features are designed to allow complete recovery of the encoded message in the Data Matrix symbol even when the mark is missing or if the symbol is damaged up to 20 per cent.
• Data Matrix codes easily hold low-contrast printing directly on the parts without the help of a label.
• Data Matrix codes can be read by video camera, which essentially means that they can be read in any orienta