The Unique Item Identifier (UID) laser marking method has become very popular.UID laser marking is considered to be one of the most efficient and fool-proof marking methods used for marking identification number onto products. Numerous industry groups including ISO9000 and other international manufacturing standards have made permanent part identification and Direct Part Marketing (DPM) compulsory to improve the traceability of their items.
As per the DoD’s mandate, UID marking is compulsory for all the items to be delivered to the Department with a unit acquisition value of $5,000.00 or above, including all embedded sub-assemblies, mission essential components or parts that are serially managed by the DoD. Furthermore, the format of the mark must conform to the requirement of the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS). The product identification must be permanently marked directly on the part’s surface as per the directive of the Department of Defense (DoD).
Benefits to the DoD of UID Laser Marking
The UID laser marking 2D Matrix symbol on parts or sub-assemblies helps the DoD:
· Improve their inventory accuracy,
· Accurately source items on property,
· Decrease inventory management costs, improve access to part history during the design or lifespan of items, and
· Reduce workforce burden through augmented efficiency and productivity.
Advantages of UID Laser Marking
UID laser marking is one of the most permanent, reliable, high contrast, and versatile marking technology available for UID applications. The increasing popularity of UID laser marking applications can be attributed to the following advantages.
1. UID laser marking is an eco-friendly choice to silk screening, chemical etching, pad printing, mechanical engraving, stamping and a choice of other costly, lower quality processes.
2. Laser marking and engraving are an exclusive method to identify and decorate your product items.
3. UID laser marking has higher resolution than other methods, which makes it easy for embedding more data in the UID marks.
For different fields such as medical, ad specialties, and automotive, to the latest in UID code identification, serialization, and verification, UID laser marking is appropriate for a range of marking purposes.