Direct part marking is growing popular in many industries for its remarkable benefits.
Direct part marking involves marking the item or the part directly on its surface. Unlike the use of UID labels where the nameplates, tags or the labels with the UID codes are affixed or attached to the items, the direct part marking is a method of UID marking that uses different techniques to mark the item or the parts. Mostly preferred by NASA to mark parts of spacecraft, the direct part marking methods are often used in civil industry. Of late, this method is being used in a wide variety of logistics and processing companies to mark the parts and the items. The growing popularity of DPM is due to its numerous advantages and lower implementation cost.
Use and Implementation Results of Direct Part Marking
Generally, the direct part marking is used to mark the subassemblies and components within the automotive, aircraft, armament, electronic, pharmaceutical, petrochemical and medical industry and many other fields. The DPM marking method enhances efficient production management and goods traffic in conjunction with enhanced documentation of these processes. Along with goods traffic the marking method ensures reliable quality and efficiency of marking, better production and dispatch of goods. Apart from simplifying closed monitoring of the marked object starting from their production to withdrawal, direct part marking allows data integration and exchange between seller, manufacturer and career.
Benefits of Direct Part Marking
Direct part marking is popular due to the benefits that it offers. In fact, it provides all benefits of automatic identification technology starting from supporting efficient resource management to eliminating human error and accessing current information on assets. The new techniques of direct part marking is more durable in comparison to traditional labels for the technique allows to encode more information in a small area and the markings can withstand harsh external conditions. There are several other benefits of DPM
• Durability of the UID marking is the most prominent benefit of DPM. The new
technologies of DPM help to produce durable codes that can’t be removed, erased and faked.
• It allows a large quantity of data to get encoded on a smaller area- upto 3600 characters can be encoded.
• The two dimensional barcode marked on the items through direct part marking can be read at any angle.
• It is possible to use the DPM marking technology on various materials such as metals, plastic and glass.
• It has the ability to eliminate human and machine errors. The 2D data matrix barcode is 20% read correctly even if it is broken.
• The durable marking of the items ensures that the all information about the objects can be accessed easily by cracking the codes of the marking. It also helps tracking the items starting from its manufacture and acquisition to maintenance and repairing.
• The methods generally have low operation cost; at least the operation is cheaper than traditional methods of using labels.
• DPM can be used for marking even item of small size such as electronic subassembly. The data matrix barcode marking doesn’t affects it’s functionally.
• DPM improves work efficiency as the object identification and marking is completely automated.
• It is a faster implementation marking technology.